I love, love, love brainstorming with other cooks. We always come up with terrific ideas like this kale quiche with a breadcrumb crust.
Fortunately for me, my friends are often willing to offer up an opinion when it comes to recipe creation. Either that, or they just want to shut me up, and figure if they help me out they can go on about their business.
Thus was the case with this meat free quiche. I was tired of crustless quiche recipes, and didn’t want the calories and fat abundant in a traditional pie crust. A little brainstorming and we decided I could make a crust with whole wheat bread crumbs.
When you put two heads together, it’s amazing what can be accomplished! Next time I’ll try this same recipe with a cornbread crust and some spicy sausage. Hmmm, I feel a new recipe coming on.
- 3 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- ? cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg white
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ? tsp pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Combine bread crumbs, with 4 tablespoons butter and parsley. Press into a pie plate sprayed with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 3. In a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat add remaining butter and onion. Cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes until tender. Add kale and cook another 2 - 3 minutes to wilt.
- 4. Whip eggs with milk.
- 5. Spread mushroom mixture into the bottom of the pie plate and top with goat cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6. Bake for 25 minutes until egg is set in the center. It should just barely wobble when you shake it. Don't overcook, or your eggs will be rubbery.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 443, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11
Total Fat: 17.64g
Total Carbs: 45.03g
Dietary Fiber: 3.46g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.