Meaty chunks of cod turn the typical high-calorie fajita into a fantastic and healthier low-calorie naked seafood fajita.
Finding the motivation to lose a few pounds is definitely a challenge. But once you set your mind to it, you get on a roll, and somehow it becomes easier as the days go by. At least that was my experience when I lost 40 pounds more than 15 years ago. Keeping the weight off over the long haul has been the bigger challenge that’s why I love seafood like this cod as a source of lean protein.
Recently, I’ve noticed the calories in the recipes I share with you have crept up, so I’ve decided to slim up my recipes along with my waistline.
I have to admit, the first few attempts at this naked seafood fajita recipe without my go-to ingredients were a disaster. I missed the panko bread crumbs that would have coated these chunks of cod and the crumbles of low-fat cheddar cheese that we would have tossed into the mix before we rolled it into our favorite whole wheat tortilla.
It’s taken a few less than stellar meals to get the hang of cooking lean meals again, but this spicy naked seafood fajita got rave reviews from my husband, who was extremely grateful. He loved the colorful peppers, hint of lime, and most definitely those meaty chunks of cod.
Truth be told, I’m enjoying the task of creating flavorful, low-low calorie meals. As I said the ultimate challenge is living a healthy life and delicious food is part of that goal, right?
Happy, healthy eating!
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ small jalepeno pepper , seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, large and minced
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ juiced lime
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ½ packet sweetner
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 14 ounces cod, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine onion, peppers, cabbage, garlic, jalapeño, 1/2 tablespoon chili powder and salt in a bowl.
- Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, sweetener and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and allow it to heat up. Add vegetables and stir fry for 5 - 6 minutes to soften. Vegetables should be crisp-tender. Remove back to the bowl and toss with dressing.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in the skillet and add cod. Gently turn to cook through - about 3 minutes.
- Split vegetables between two bowls. Top with cod and drizzle with the dressing at the bottom of the vegetable bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Calories: 302 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Total Fat: 10.18g Cholesterol: 85mg Sodium: 452mg Total Carbs: 13.97g Dietary Fiber: 4.63g Sugars: 6.82g Protein: 37.69g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low-calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.