You can if you use Nasoya egg roll wrappers, lean ground chicken breast and low fat cheese!
If you recall, a few weeks ago I shared a recipe for apple hand pies I’d made with egg roll wrappers. I swapped out higher calorie pie crust for lower calorie wraps with little difference in flavor and visual appeal.
The calorie count in a typical meat lasagna can vary depending on whether you use fattier ground meats, whole fat cheeses, etc., so lasagna is typically a dish we rarely indulge in.
So that’s when I decided to see if I could make a slenderized version of lasagna using the same method. I’d swap egg roll wrappers for pasta.
I make baked Asian inspired egg rolls all the time, and the challenge is always wrapping them tightly enough to keep the contents from spilling out onto the baking pan.
(I say “Asian inspired” because they aren’t in the least authentic, simply my lower calorie version of the fried egg rolls we splurge on at our local restaurant.)
Even with all these precautions, I still ended up with some filling spilling out as my lasagna rolls baked. No matter, they were completely savory delicious once they cooled enough to eat, and still had plenty of filling left to satisfy.
But I promise, that skinny frozen meal won’t taste nearly as good.
Lasagna rolls using Nasoya Egg Roll Wrappers filled with ground chicken breast, a savory spaghetti sauce, ricotta and mozzarella cheese.
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 6 tablespoons low fat ricotta cheese
- 12 tablespoons low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet brown chicken, then add sauce to heat through.
- Get a small bowl of water to brush the edges of wrappers with.
- Place a wrapper on your work surface with one point facing towards you. Dipping a finger in water, lightly brush the edges of the wrapper. Place 1/2 cup meat mixture in the middle of a wrapper, top with 1 tablespoon ricotta, crumbling over the top, then 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Fold the corner closest to you over the mixture. Fold each side on top, then roll gently to the last corner. Seal edges with water using the same method used above. (Directions are on the packaging if you need additional help.)
- Place on the cookie sheet, and light spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until wrappers are lightly browned.
Food energy: 197kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.16g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.03g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.02g
Total fat: 5.21g
Calories from fat: 46
Carbohydrate, by difference: 22.54g
Total dietary fiber: 0.58g
Total lipid (fat): 5.91g
Total sugars: 1.87g