If you’re cutting back on sugar but love your treats, this low sugar apple pear snack cake is perfect for you.
When I’ve had a bad week, like most people, comfort foods call my name. I need something to warm my soul. I can hear a whisper in my ear . . . Kristi? Are you there? I know this has been a rough week, I can help you!
That’s when it’s time to use my limited baking skills to make a snack cake.
As you know, for a variety of reasons, I don’t often bake. True baking skills require a precision I’m not willing to learn, and I don’t need the calories most baked goods and desserts provide.
That doesn’t mean I have zero baking skills. I have plenty enough to make comfort foods when I need them, and snack cakes top my list if they contain fruit.
I’m a fan of using a variety of fruits in my snack cakes because they add a natural sweetness that allows me to cut back on refined sugars.
I love the combination of pears and apples. There’s something about the tartness of apples, that works well with the soft sweetness of pears.
This snack cake has oats in the mix, along with a touch of honey, so I’m not feeling too badly about my comfort food treat.
If you’ve read along this far, I’m guessing you’re wondering why I had a challenging week, and I won’t keep you in suspense.
I am the Queen of Dental Procedures.
My dentist has more money in his retirement plan thanks to my 5th (or is it 6th?) root canal, than I have in mine.
Still, I’m grateful for his expertise, and a bite or two of comfort food in the form of a fruity snack cake to heal the pain.
Low in sugar, apples and pears give this quick bread a natural sweetness.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup oats, quick cooking variety
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a square 8 x 8 baking dish, or in my case a small oblong baking dish, and lightly dust with flour. This helps keep the cake from sticking to the pan.
- In a medium sized bowl melt coconut oil for 1 minute in the microwave with honey.
- Add 1/2 cup oats, stirring to combine, then add eggs and milk. Stir well to combine.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Combine well.
- Layer the bottom of the baking dish with 2/3rds of the apples and pears, making sure to distribute equally.
- Pour batter over the top, level with a spoon so there are no uneven spots.
- Top with remaining fruit.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Food energy: 189kcal
Weight Watchers Points Plus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.82g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.56g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.54g
Total fat: 3.91g
Calories from fat: 35
Carbohydrate, by difference: 34.72g
Total dietary fiber: 4.00g
Total lipid (fat): 4.37g
Total sugars: 13.07g
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and download 30 Super Satisfying Slender Recipes free!