I know it’s long past Thanksgiving, but I enjoy Thanksgiving dinner all year long. I buy an extra turkey during the holidays just so I can roast it when I need those comforting holiday aromas to fill the air, providing that sense of peace the holidays bring.
So . . . while my fellow food bloggers are firing up their grills and posting recipes abundant with spring produce and smoky grilled meats, I’m roasting my turkey in the oven, and enjoying the leftovers.
I’m not completely crazy – you should give it a try.
To go along with my adoration of turkey, is my obsession with winter acorn squash. I love their mildly sweet taste, and the fact that they provide a natural container for anything I want to stuff into them.
Mexican inspired versions are often on the dinner plate, but I was on a turkey kick, so why not a Thanksgiving inspired acorn squash recipe?
I consider this a low calorie dish, but it isn’t necessarily low in Weight Watcher points. You can reduce the points by eliminating the garbanzo beans and adding a little more turkey. There’s plenty of fiber and protein in this meal without the beans, I just happened to have some in the frig waiting to be put to use.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup turkey breast, cooked and cubed - or 1 cup cooked ground turkey breast
- ⅔ cup garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons low calorie honey Dijon salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, finely minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine turkey, garbanzo beans, salad dressing, syrup, shallot, dried cranberries and rosemary in a bowl.
- Fill each acorn squash with ½ the turkey mixture and bake for 1½ hours covered with foil until squash is tender.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 10
Total Fat: 5.30g
Total Carbs: 59.20g
Dietary Fiber: 7.73g
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.