Asian flavors inspire this Orecchiette pasta recipe with shrimp and pineapple.
Are you familiar with my Orecchietta pasta obsession?
I’m not a big pasta eater. I prefer to save my starchy type calories for potatoes, chips and breads. But this fun, bowl-shaped pasta caught my eye, so on Monday I shared a Mediterranean pasta dish, and today I’m twisting things up with spring fresh asparagus and baby shrimp.
I had a heck of a time hunting down Orecchiette at our local grocery stores, but finally found it at Sur la Table.
As I said on Monday, I realize I could have made my purchase on Amazon and been done with the search, but I like having treasures to hunt down at that store. It makes the drudgery of shopping more pleasurable.
Since it’s just Mike and I in the house, my 1 pound bag is holding up to several meals. Next time I’ll make a dish with red sauce, fresh basil and parmesan cheese, but Asian flavors with tiny baby shrimp called to me on this particular night.
Sesame oil, soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic and a splash of pineapple juice turn into a spicy sauce to coat my pasta. Pineapple chunks were chopped into smaller pieces, so they’re hiding in the bowl, but they add a sweetness that balances the warmth of ginger and garlic.
Here’s a photo of Monday’s Mediterranean dish with chicken, kale, tomatoes and feta. Fresh oregano really boosts the flavor. I can’t resist cooking with fresh herbs. They’re worth every penny. I’ve tried growing them myself, but we don’t get enough sun to grow a lush vegetable and herb garden. We’re surrounded by too many trees.
I’m in a chatty mood today, aren’t I?
It’s time to head off to work. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, and if you find Orecchiette and decide to make this for yourself, be sure and leave a comment and let me know how it worked out for you.
This Asian inspired pasta recipe uses fun orecchiette pasta to make this pasta dish extra special when served with asparagus and pineapple.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup Orecchiette Pasta, dried, then cooked per package directions
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus , pencil thin, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup salad shrimp, cooked
- 1/2 cup pineapple bits
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil, sesame oil and allow to get hot.
- Add asparagus, garlic and ginger. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes to soften.
- Add broth,soy sauce and pineapple juice. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until asparagus is crisp tender.
- Add cooked pasta, shrimp and pineapple and stir to heat through.
- Add green onion.
Food energy: 291kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus
Saturated fatty acids: 2.65g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.05g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.15g
Total fat: 4.85g
Calories from fat: 43
Carbohydrate, by difference: 38.43g
Total dietary fiber: 4.53g
Total lipid (fat): 6.10g
Total sugars: 10.50g
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”