This one skillet pasta with chunks of chicken, mushrooms and brussels sprouts is just what the dentist ordered.
Okay folks, I’m still whining about my root canal turned tooth extraction, and still in need of soothing comfort foods like this chicken filled pasta.
In case you missed the excitement, last week I had a date with my dentist for a root canal, so I made a slenderized mac and cheese before the party started.
Boy was I glad I’d thought ahead! After the news that I’d lose a tooth, I was in definite need of soothing.
(Those pain medications can be quite a distraction in the kitchen, but don’t worry, Mike keeps a watchful eye.)
Chicken, woodsy mushrooms and tender brussels sprouts turn my whole grain pasta into a hearty meal. Then a sprinkle of goat cheese and fragrant lemon juice adds bright, zingy flavor, and a refreshing finishing touch.
Now that my dental ordeal is behind me, I can see the silver lining.
There’s always something to be grateful for, and today it’s that my missing tooth isn’t visible when I smile. Daughter Rimmy will be married in August, and those implants take several months to complete. Can you imagine what her mother would have looked like in wedding pictures with a missing front tooth?
Enjoy, and have a terrific week!
Pasta with Chicken, Mushrooms, Brussels Sprouts and Goat Cheese
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 cups whole grain spiral pasta, cooked
- 1 cup shallots, sliced
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, minced
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. You'll want to cook enough for 2 cups total. If you have extra, it can be frozen for later use in soups or stews.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. When olive oil is hot, add shallots, garlic, mushrooms and brussels sprouts. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes to soften, stirring often.
- Add chicken, rosemary, and thyme, then continue to cook for 8 - 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add pasta to the pan with lemon juice, and combine ingredients, heating through for 2 - 3 minutes. If the pasta seems dry, add the pasta broth to the pan.
- Toss in goat cheese.
Food energy: 480kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 7.79g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 7.15g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.85g
Total fat: 16.79g
Calories from fat: 151
Carbohydrate, by difference: 44.44g
Total dietary fiber: 3.02g
Total lipid (fat): 18.72g
Total sugars: 2.47g