This super moist bread has a secret ingredient – beer!
I suppose if you used a very stout beer you could taste the beer in this bread, but I chose a light beer and couldn’t taste even the slightest hint of beer. What I did taste was a sweet – almost pound cake like – very moist bread. Even better, it was incredibly simple to make.
As far as quick bread recipes go, it can’t get any quicker than this. The yeast in the beer acts as the leavening agent, and gives the bread that wonderful yeasty aroma.
I would reference the original recipe for Beer Bread, but Google wasn’t my friend this morning. I couldn’t find the origination of beer bread, so I guess we’ll just have to use our imaginations.
Serves 16 slices
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Slowly add beer and water. Mix until combined, but don't over mix. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Five minutes before you remove the bread from the oven, melt butter and honey in a small bowl in the microwave and drizzle over bread, brushing with the back of a spoon to distribute.
- Remove bread from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 120, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3
Total Fat: 3.01g
Total Carbs: 19.45g
Dietary Fiber: 1.82g
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received [product name]” is sufficient disclosure.