Mr. Mike and I enjoyed a lovely night at the Fairmont Hotel in Seattle last weekend where we had the appetizer to beat all appetizers.
I was completely impressed with the dish, so I had to recreate it myself. Off to the market I headed, dragging Mr. Mike with me.
Hunting down peeled and deveined baby shrimp was a no-go, so I spent more than my share of time cleaning them myself. Not a fun task, but well worth the effort.
After that chore, the rest of my appetizer recreation was a breeze.
I tossed those delicate shrimp with panko bread crumbs, baked them in the oven, then served them with a spicy garlic chili sauce – low calorie of course.
The only advice I would give you is to lightly brown your panko bread crumbs under the broiler before you toss them with the shrimp. You’ll end up with a lovelier color, and extra crunch. These tiny shrimp cook so quickly that they don’t get much time to brown. I’ve found this to be true when I slender bake dishes.
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas everyone!
- 1 pound shrimp, baby sized, peeled and deveined
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil based mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- Preheat the broiler on high with the rack set to the middle rack.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Lightly pat shrimp with paper towel, then toss well with bread crumbs, working in batches.
- Layer in a single layer on the cookie sheet, and spray with cooking spray to facilitate browning.
- Don't place under the broiler until you've made the sauce with the remaining ingredients.
- After the sauce is made and in the refrigerator chilling, place the shrimp under the broiler. Watch carefully. The shrimp cook quickly. You want them very lightly browned, but not overcooked and rubbery. Mine took about 3 - 4 minutes, but it depends on how hot your broiler gets.
- Serve with sauce.
Food energy: 215kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 0.76g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.88g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.99g Total fat: 3.64g Calories from fat: 32 Cholesterol: 143mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 21.22g Total dietary fiber: 0.92g Protein: 20.67g Total lipid (fat): 4.73g Water: 139.50g Ash: 4.19g Total sugars: 6.60g Calcium: 182mg Iron: 1.27mg Magnesium: 41mg Phosphorus: 377mg Potassium: 289mg Sodium: 1166mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.