You won’t miss this bread in these fried egg sandwiches when they’re wrapped in meaty roasted portobello mushrooms.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary describes a sandwich as one of the following . . .
- slices of bread with a filling in-between
- a slice of bread covered with food
- “something resembling a sandwich; especially : composite structural material consisting of layers often of high-strength facings bonded to a low strength central core”
I’m not sure about you, but composite structural material doesn’t sound good to me! This fried egg sandwich recipe probably fits into the composite structural material category, so I’m glad it tastes better than it sounds.
We roasted our portobello mushrooms in the oven, topped them with slices of ham, then fried eggs that were cooked until the yolks had just set. After that, we topped them with fresh tomatoes, green onions and a sprinkle of sea salt for good measure.
Did we miss the bread on our fried egg sandwiches? Not a chance thanks to those savory mushrooms and salty ham!
Happy, healthy cooking!
If you’re looking for more healthy and low-calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Portobello Mushroom and Fried Egg Sandwiches
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned of gills and stem
- 4 tablespoons low fat Greek salad dressing, Italian works too
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices deli ham, thin slices
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the inside of each mushroom with 1 tablespoon Greek or Italian dressing. Roast in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until just tender.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Crack four eggs into the pan, add a tablespoon of water and cover with a lid. Cook 3 - 5 minutes until the yolk is cooked to your desired doneness. We like our slightly runny.
- Spread each mushroom with a teaspoon of Dijon mustard then top each with with 2 slices ham, 2 eggs, slices of tomato and 2 tablespoons green onion.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7
Total Fat: 15.47g
Total Carbs: 8.60g
Dietary Fiber: 2.00g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.