Turn the last of summer’s zucchini crop into these easy, cheesy hashbrown patties.
This isn’t your typical hash brown recipe, these shredded potatoes are packed with protein, making them a terrific meatless meal.
If you recall, a few weeks ago I used frozen shredded potatoes to make these hash brown and egg muffins and since I had half a package left, decided to turn them into patties with the pile of zucchini left from summer’s bounty.
In order to turn my potatoes and zucchini into a meatless meal that would keep us from hitting the refrigerator a few hours later, I needed a punch of protein, so I added low fat cottage cheese and egg whites to the blender.
But potatoes and zucchini with eggs and cottage cheese sounds a bit on the bland side, doesn’t it?
To build on my cheezy potatoes and add flavor, salty Parmesan made it to the bowl, along with fresh parsley for added color.
I supposed I could have poured the whole shebang into the pan and fried them as you would classic hash browns, but I wanted them to have a more meal-like appeal, so I molded the potatoes and zucchini mixture into patties.
Served with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh parsley, this meatless meal satisfied even Mr. Mike’s meat loving appetite.
I could easily see substituting finely chopped broccoli, cauliflower or even shredded carrots into these potato patties. You’ll have to give it a try and let me know what you think.
Have a terrific Monday!
Cheesy Potato and Zucchini Hashbrowns
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 cups potatoes, shredded (I bought frozen hashbrowns and allowed them to thaw.)
- 2 cups zucchini shredded with extra moisture drained in a colander or between paper towels
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup white onion, minced
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Combine potatoes, zucchini, parsley, Parmesan cheese and onion in a bowl.
- In a blender add egg whites, cottage cheese, garlic, Dijon mustard, flour, salt and pepper and combine well.
- Fold egg mixture into potato mixture and combine well.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When the pan is hot, using an ice cream scoop add potato mixture in rounds to the pan and lightly mash with a spatula.
- Allow potatoes to nicely brown on one side (about 5 - 7 minutes), checking to make sure they aren't burning. Then flip and brown the other side.
Food energy: 62kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2
Saturated fatty acids: 0.72g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.34g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.15g
Total fat: 1.21g
Calories from fat: 10
Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.82g
Total dietary fiber: 0.87g
Total lipid (fat): 1.35g
Total sugars: 1.05g
FYI – if you’re in the market for healthy, low calorie cooking tools, this recipe uses a Magic Bullet, and a 12 inch non-stick skillet.
If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!