I was very surprised by this stuffed pepper recipe on allrecipes.com submitted by Jen.
I had taken chicken out for dinner, but when I returned from work to make dinner, it was still frozen. Lesson learned, 24 hours thawing time wasn’t enough. Time to try a vegetarian meal. Thank heavens for a pantry with lots of staples!
A bit of searching on one of my favorite websites returned this recipe for stuffed peppers.
I added a Mexican twist by using Mexican seasoned chopped canned tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and fresh lime juice. I also had an over-ripe avocado that I mixed with cilantro, low-fat sour cream and fresh lime juice. I topped these stuffed peppers with my “sour cream” and served.
This meal is really worth a try. Lots of great veggies, fiber and flavor.
- * 2 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- * 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- * 1/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- * 2 tablespoons hot water
- * 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- * 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- * 1/2 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- * 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- * 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- * 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Arrange pepper halves in a 9 inch square glass baking dish. Cover dish with plastic wrap. Poke a few holes in the plastic wrap for vents, and heat 4 minutes in the microwave, or until tender.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix tomatoes and their liquid, rice, and water. Cover with plastic, and cook in the microwave for 4 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- 3. Stir green onions, corn, kidney beans, and red pepper flakes into the tomato mixture. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- 4. Spoon hot tomato mixture evenly into pepper halves, and cover with plastic wrap. Poke a few holes in the plastic to vent steam, and heat in the microwave 4 minutes. Remove plastic, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese, and allow to stand 1 to 2 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information doesn’t include sour cream topping.
* Total Fat: 4.4g
* Cholesterol: 12mg
* Sodium: 352mg
* Total Carbs: 27.6g
* Dietary Fiber: 6.6g
* Protein: 9.2g
Weight Watchers Points 3