Have you tried quinoa yet?
If you haven’t tried this nutty tasting seed (yes, it’s a seed not a grain), you’re missing out.
I discovered quinoa when I was diagnosed with an egg sensitivity and needed a new source of protein. This tasty seed is considered a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. These amino acids can’t be manufactured by the body, so we have to get them from food. You can combine foods to make a complete protein like beans and nuts, or beans and grains, but quinoa does the job all by itself.
Not a bad deal, right?
These fruit salad recipes are terrific because you can substitute almost any fruit in season. In this case, we came home from our trip to Chelan with a pile of gorgeous cherries that added a lovely ruby color to the dish.
Mike enjoyed this sweet summer salad for dinner along with grilled chicken, and it made a terrific work day breakfast for me the rest of the week.
Do I miss creamy scrambled eggs, and veggie filled omelets?
Of course! But quinoa isn’t such a bad substitute. Give it a try and let me know what you think, but don’t purchase it by the box. Head to the bulk bins where you’ll discover it’s much cheaper. Even better, you’ll often find red quinoa too. It’ll make a dramatic presentation in your next salad.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 4 - 1 cup servings
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 ½ tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- ½ cup chives , thinly sliced, the green ends of green onions work too
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and quartered
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and allow to cool.
- Combine walnut oil, champagne vinegar, honey, tarragon and chives in a bowl.
- Toss quinoa with dressing, chopped cherries and goat cheese in a bowl.
- Chill for 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 273kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Saturated fatty acids: 6.45g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.16g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 3.51g Total fat: 13.12g Calories from fat: 118 Cholesterol: 22mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 27.85g Total dietary fiber: 3.12g Protein: 9.42g
Don’t forget to sign up for our weekly newsletter packed with healthy cooking tips and tasty recipes.
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content.
Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.