Wow! What do you think of my picture of this spicy Asian inspired soup?
I’m working on my food photography skills folks, and boy does it show – not in a good way. The images of this gingery, garlicky shrimp soup are on the grainy side, but it was such satisfying meal, that I didn’t want you to miss out.
I’m a cook, not a photographer, so when the daylight changes here in Seattle, I have to adjust the settings on my camera. Not an easy task for this amateur shutterbug.
The picture above isn’t bad. I love that you can see baby shrimp nestled on the spoon with strips of carrot, mushrooms, and tendrils of bean sprouts.
Ooops! Back to grainy photos again, but I like the angle.
A handful of cilantro adds yet another layer of freshness to this quick Asian soup recipe, and looks pretty floating atop the bowl.
That’s enough practice for today folks!
Hang in there with me. This weekend is all about practicing my picture taking skills in time to share the chocolate almond granola I have planned for Monday’s post.
Have a terrific weekend everyone!
A note to my fellow foodies and blogging buddies:
If you have tips for this budding food photographer and her Nikon DSLR camera, be sure and leave a comment. I’m open to all tips and suggestions. Google has been my friend, but personal experience is always a better teacher.
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (Use 4 cloves for a spicier dish)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced (Use 1½ tablespoons for a spicier dish)
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces shrimp, 100/200 shrimp per pound, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ small lime , juiced
- Heat sesame oil and coconut oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Cook for five minutes to soften vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth, water, soy sauce and turmeric. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add shrimp, bean sprouts, green onion, and lime juice.
- Serve topped with cilantro.
Weight Watchers Points Plus 3
Saturated fatty acids: 1.89g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.87g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.00g
Total fat: 3.75g
Calories from fat: 33
Carbohydrate, by difference: 15.55g
Total dietary fiber: 3.56g
Total lipid (fat): 4.44g
Total sugars: 6.51g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.