When asparagus hits the markets, I can’t resist loading up!
Just this week the price per pound dropped to an amazing $1.99 – you can bet it’ll be on our lunch and dinner menus until the day it goes back up to 3.99.
According to my favorite magazine, Eating Well, “Asparagus is packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This, according to preliminary research, may help slow the aging process.”
At age 50, I could use a little help with anti-aging!
One of my favorite methods of cooking asparagus is to grill it, then top it with a poached egg, or even a creamy egg salad as you can see above. Grilling or roasting brings out that nutty sweetness we love in vegetables.
Off to work I go. You can guarantee there’ll be a pile of asparagus in some form on the dinner table tonight.
Shake It Up! Add a protein like shrimp or chicken for a meat filled stir fry.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups asparagus , cut into 2" pieces
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 2 large roma tomatoes, cubed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onions. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add 1/4 cup broth to keep from burning and speed cooking.
- Remaining ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes and cheese. Stir fry for 5 - 8 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add remaining broth as needed to keep from burning.
- Add tomatoes and cook another 3 - 4 minutes to heat tomatoes through.
- Remove stir fry and top with parmesan cheese.
Food energy: 138kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4 Saturated fatty acids: 2.32g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.37g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.67g Total fat: 6.36g Calories from fat: 57 Cholesterol: 7mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 13.71g Total dietary fiber: 4.87g Protein: 9.65g Total lipid (fat): 6.68g Water: 314.59g Ash: 2.80g Total sugars: 7.24g Calcium: 177mg Iron: 3.62mg Magnesium: 41mg Phosphorus: 222mg Potassium: 715mg Sodium: 297mg
“Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” Franklin P. Jones
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.