When I’m in the mood to impress the men in my life, a beef packed chili bubbling away on the stove is all it takes.
But don’t think the guys in the house are the only family members who like beef in their chili. I’m a fan myself.
In fact, meat in all forms added to the mix makes me happy.
Add chicken , and this is my super-satisfying version of choice.
But you won’t see me turning down this lentil packed version either, and once I confirmed there was ground beef in the mix, Mr. Mike was on board too – lentils or not.
In today’s chili, Mexican spices add a gentle heat to ground beef, black beans, an abundance of tomatoes and bell peppers, but it’s the sweet potatoes that make me a fan. They add a mellowness that turns this classic Mexican dish into a real people-pleaser.
Don’t forget to top it with a sprinkle of shredded cheese (pepper jack is outstanding), and a dollop of sour cream!
Serves 16 servings
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, cubed into larger pieces
- 102 ounces diced tomatoes, I had one gigantic Coscto can, but you could use smaller cans
- 14 ounces diced green chiles
- 8 tablespoons Mexican seasoning, more if you like heat
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 60 ounces black beans
- 1 large lime , juiced
- Heat an extra large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add beef, onion, and bell peppers and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until beef is cooked through. Drain fat off in a colander.
- Add beef mixture and remaining ingredients to an extra large stock pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer stirring frequently for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until vegetables are cooked through and the chili has thickened.
Food energy: 270kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6 Saturated fatty acids: 1.41g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.29g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.40g Total fat: 3.11g Calories from fat: 27 Cholesterol: 35mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 40.33g Total dietary fiber: 12.35g Protein: 21.17g Total lipid (fat): 3.50g Water: 450.22g Ash: 5.22g Total sugars: 9.30g Calcium: 119mg Iron: 5.60mg Magnesium: 86mg Phosphorus: 295mg Potassium: 1111mg Sodium: 801mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.