In the spirit of enjoying lower calorie meals during the month of January, today I’m sharing this rustic chicken soup packed with herbs and an abundance of healthy greens.
When it comes to work day lunches, a quiet corner with a bowl of soup is my lunch break of choice. You’ll find containers in my freezer of a variety of homemade soups like this chicken packed with savory herbs, or split pea soup with salty bacon.
I prefer soups hearty enough to stick with me the rest of the work day, so the office candy dish doesn’t start calling my name.
What I love best about soup recipes like this one, is that you can take these basic ingredients and switch them up with almost any protein or vegetable you have on hand. You could swap the turkey for chicken, or just serve the soup with quinoa to make a meat free meal. Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower – you name it, you can add it to the pot.
There you are! Get cooking on Sunday so you can enjoy a warming lunch the rest of the week.
Have a terrific weekend everyone!
Shake It Up!
No time to chop and drop? You could easily swap a few bags of your favorite frozen vegetables into this chicken soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leek , thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ cups celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat add olive oil and leeks, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes to soften. Add a little broth as needed to keep from burning.
- Add garlic, broth, water, cooked chicken, thyme, oregano and parsley. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add kale and quinoa and cook another 5 - 10 minutes until kale softens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Food energy: 225kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 0.86g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.28g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.78g Total fat: 3.92g Calories from fat: 35 Cholesterol: 39mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 23.31g Total dietary fiber: 4.43g Protein: 21.11g Total lipid (fat): 5.56g Water: 550.14g Ash: 3.86g Total sugars: 2.94g Calcium: 126mg Iron: 4.02mg Magnesium: 81mg Phosphorus: 270mg Potassium: 712mg Sodium: 459mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.