In the spirit of enjoying lower calorie meals during the month of January, today I’m sharing this rustic chicken soup packed with herbs and an abundance of healthy greens.
When it comes to work day lunches, a quiet corner with a bowl of soup is my lunch break of choice. You’ll find containers in my freezer of a variety of homemade soups like this chicken packed with savory herbs, or split pea soup with salty bacon.
I prefer soups hearty enough to stick with me the rest of the work day, so the office candy dish doesn’t start calling my name.
What I love best about soup recipes like this one, is that you can take these basic ingredients and switch them up with almost any protein or vegetable you have on hand. You could swap the turkey for chicken, or just serve the soup with quinoa to make a meat free meal. Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower – you name it, you can add it to the pot.
There you are! Get cooking on Sunday so you can enjoy a warming lunch the rest of the week.
Have a terrific weekend everyone!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leek , thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ cups celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat add olive oil and leeks, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes to soften. Add a little broth as needed to keep from burning.
- Add garlic, broth, water, cooked chicken, thyme, oregano and parsley. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add kale and quinoa and cook another 5 - 10 minutes until kale softens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 0.86g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.28g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.78g
Total fat: 3.92g
Calories from fat: 35
Carbohydrate, by difference: 23.31g
Total dietary fiber: 4.43g
Total lipid (fat): 5.56g
Total sugars: 2.94g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.