Chocolate granola for breakfast? Who eats chocolate for breakfast?
Somewhere in Saturday’s post for a spicy Asian soup, as I was lamenting having to change my camera settings for daylight savings time and how it messes up my food photos, I also promised you a sweet dark chocolate granola recipe.
You won’t find many granola recipes here. They aren’t typically calorie friendly, and neither is this one.
Still, since visions of oats, Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder, almonds and honey kept swimming around in my brain, it was time to make a batch of granola.
Looks nice and chocolaty, doesn’t it?
When it comes to dark chocolate, I think many of us have heard it can be packed with flavonoids that can help prevent heart disease. But what about cocoa powder?
No worries there! Cocoa powder has the solids removed, but packs the same whollop, so why not add it to my oats and honey?
Since I’m a calorie watcher, you won’t find me pouring a bowl of granola for breakfast, but you will find it crumbled over a bowl of vanilla Greek yogurt for crunch and texture.
Chocolate for breakfast. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Serves 8 - 1/2 cup servings
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup canola oil, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oats, almonds, cinnamon, brown sugar and chocolate in a large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour over oats and mix extremely well.
- Spread evenly over cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes to toast. Stir halfway in-between.
- Remove and allow to cool. Seal in a container.
Food energy: 347kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 9 Saturated fatty acids: 1.39g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 8.77g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 4.27g Total fat: 14.43g Calories from fat: 129 Cholesterol: -- Carbohydrate, by difference: 47.15g Total dietary fiber: 5.90g Protein: 8.55g Total lipid (fat): 15.68g Water: 6.52g Ash: 1.36g Total sugars: 16.47g Calcium: 59mg Iron: 3.32mg Magnesium: 140mg Phosphorus: 241mg Potassium: 243mg Sodium: 76mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.