There isn’t a more classic combination than eggs and potatoes, but this egg recipe switches things up a bit and uses sweet potatoes in place of russets.
That’s a different story!
Weekend breakfast is all about eggs.
I don’t want to spend the entire morning in the kitchen cooking up a morning feast, but if I don’t serve Mr. Mike a hearty breakfast before he gets started on his honey do list, I can’t expect much to get done.
Most often you’ll find a cheesy vegetable packed frittata with fresh fruit on the menu, but this morning I was in the mood for potatoes with my eggs.
I didn’t want starchy russets, I wanted a mellow sweet potato to colorfully compliment the yolks in my fried eggs.
With just a handful of ingredients – sweet potatoes, fresh woodsy thyme, cage free eggs and a dab of butter cooking up in the same pan, this easy breakfast was on the table in minutes.
We’re off to knock out that honey do list. I’m afraid there is no immunity when it comes to chores in this house. I get to work on the list too!
Have a terrific weekend everyone!
Shake It Up! Russet, red or Yukon Gold potatoes would work equally as well. Take paper towel and squeeze some of the water out first so they brown better.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large green onion, sliced
- Preheat a small skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sweet potatoes and thyme and add to the pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Fry stirring frequently to keep from burning for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 5 minutes until potatoes are almost soft.
- Put potatoes to the edges of the pan making a well in the middle.
- Add butter to the well in the middle, then crack in the eggs. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Top eggs with 1 tablespoon of water to allow for a bit of steam to get the cooking.
- Cover with a lid and cook eggs to desired doneness.
- Remove eggs from heat and serve with onion.
Food energy: 292kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7 Saturated fatty acids: 4.74g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 4.60g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.24g Total fat: 11.58g Calories from fat: 104 Cholesterol: 421mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 27.88g Total dietary fiber: 4.22g Protein: 16.36g Total lipid (fat): 12.66g Water: 204.75g Ash: 2.63g Total sugars: 6.14g Calcium: 111mg Iron: 2.94mg Magnesium: 48mg Phosphorus: 287mg Potassium: 627mg Sodium: 249mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.