I’m huge fan of lettuce wraps.
It’s not that I’m skipping wheat wraps these days to save calories, or because I’m sensitive to gluten. I simply love the fresh crunch those green leaves give to every bite of whatever filling I decide to drop in the middle.
This week I had chard from my CSA in the frig, so why not use it as the green for my wrap?
I combined a few other veggies from the bin with sweet, pink shrimp to create the filling for my lettuce wraps. Brown rice, green cabbage, celery, carrots and onions were on board, along with a can of water chestnuts from the pantry.
All that was left was a spicy peanut sauce to sauce to pour over my shrimp filled lettuce wraps.
I cut the calories in this sauce by thinning it out with a tart rice vinegar and water. Turns out that was a good choice. The vinegar added balance to the sweetness in the peanut butter, and worked well with the chili garlic sauce.
Just take care when you’re piling on your shrimp and veggies! Mr. Mike had trouble folding his up to eat, and the veggies fell out in his lap. Such a glutton he is!
But then, you can’t break the calorie bank eating a pile of veggies and shrimp, can you.
Serves 16 rolls
Shake It Up! Swap chard leaves for butter lettuce or romaine. Leftover chicken or pork is a terrific replacement for shrimp.
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup green onion , thinly sliced
- ½ cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 cup shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ inch ginger, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 4 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 large chard leaves, as big as you can find stemmed and torn into large quarters
- Combine brown rice, cabbage, carrots, celery, green onion, water chestnuts and shrimp in a bowl.
- In a small bowl add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Toss with rice mixture and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a small bowl add peanut butter. Place in the microwave to soften on high for 20 seconds. Add chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and water and mix until smooth.
- Serve with rice mixture scooped into chard leaves and topped with a teaspoon of peanut sauce.
Food energy: 98kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2 Saturated fatty acids: 0.48g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.31g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.93g Total fat: 2.72g Calories from fat: 24 Cholesterol: 18mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 13.86g Total dietary fiber: 1.65g Protein: 4.57g Total lipid (fat): 2.98g Water: 75.57g Ash: 1.42g Total sugars: 1.10g Calcium: 29mg Iron: 0.76mg Magnesium: 42mg Phosphorus: 94mg Potassium: 191mg Sodium: 233mg