When I was growing up, meatloaf was a family staple.
With five of us in the family, my mom did a terrific job stretching our food dollars. Serving ground beef with fillers like breadcrumbs and onions was a great place to start.
In the past I’ve turned meatloaf recipes into herby muffins. I like the automatic portion control, and they freeze beautifully.
But this week I wanted a walk down memory lane, so I molded my beefy mixture into a loaf, then roasted it on a rack in the oven over a cookie sheet covered with foil. I don’t have a fancy meatloaf pan, so this method allowed the fat to drip off onto the cookie sheet.
Just like mom, I stretched my meat with mushrooms, carrots and bell peppers, and since I used extra lean ground beef, the extra veggies added moisture as well.
A savory meatloaf reminiscent of Mom’s, with a brush of sweet barbecue sauce to give it a golden brown glaze, and served with roasted sweet potatoes and apples. This is definitely my idea of comfort food.
Shake It Up! Try ground turkey or ground chicken for a nice change from beef.
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ½ large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 ½ pounds extra lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and top with a rack.
- Combine onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots and garlic in a food processor and pulse into small pieces.
- Dump vegetables into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients EXCEPT barbecue sauce. Work well to combine ingredients.
- Mold into a loaf, keeping size as even as possible.
- Place on the rack and roast in the oven for 1 - 1/2 hours until meat is no longer pink. 15 minutes before removing from the oven, spread barbecue sauce on the top to create a glaze.
Food energy: 272kcal Saturated fatty acids: 3.29g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.14g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.59g Total fat: 7.02g Calories from fat: 63 Cholesterol: 87mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 16.03g Total dietary fiber: 1.37g Protein: 33.10g Total lipid (fat): 7.65g Water: 170.25g Ash: 3.19g Total sugars: 7.77g Calcium: 39mg Iron: 4.05mg Magnesium: 43mg Phosphorus: 322mg Potassium: 712mg Sodium: 521mg
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.