When it comes to satisfying soups, if there are beans involved, the soup rises to the top of my list.
But the truth is, a creamy bean soup can be boring if you don’t step things up a notch – classic Mexican flavors take care of that ho-hum problem.
As you can see, this soup looks okay, but there’s nothing to make me come back for more, much less spoon some into a bowl.
No pizazz, right?
How about this? Don’t you want to dive your spoon in now?
All it takes is a just a few tasty garnishes like low fat shredded cheese, fresh herbs, low fat sour cream, and a cubed avocado to take this “boring” soup over the top.
What’s with the turkey kielbasa piled on top you ask?
Who knows. I had a package in the frig and thought they’d make a tasty addition. Turns out, they did.
Have a terrific week everyone!
Shake It Up! Turn this into a meat free meal by eliminating the turkey kielbasa.
- 2 cups turkey kielbasa, diced into small pieces
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups red beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ small lime , juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of broth to the pan with onions and garlic. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes to soften, then add remaining ingredients, except cilantro and sour cream.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until beans are very tender.
- Using and immersion blender, or standard blender, blend soup until creamy. If you use a standard blender, be sure to leave the lid loose so the steam escapes, and blend in batches.
- Top soup with sour cream, cilantro and turkey croutons.
Food energy: 191kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 2.07g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.72g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.64g Total fat: 4.43g Calories from fat: 39
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.