I’m on a soup kick lately.
These past few weeks my life has taken some interesting turns. Time to cook has flow out the window, so a healthy soup has been on the dinner menu more often than not.
When I make soups and stews, I can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes with plenty of leftovers for lunch, or dinner a second time later in the week.
Mushrooms have a meaty texture that add substance to a quick meat-free soup. Even better, they’ll boost your immune system, and who doesn’t need that during cold and flu season! Seems the cough and laryngitis bug have hit my work place, so I’ll be eating more mushrooms.
But I digress . . .
If you sauté those spongy veggies (yes, I think they’re spongy when raw) with onions and garlic, they permeate the mushrooms with a wonderful depth of flavor. Adding sweet sun dried tomatoes adds yet another layer of savory goodness.
Finish off this week day mushroom soup with a sprinkle of nutty parmesan cheese so it melts into cheesy goodness over those tender mushrooms.
With dinner on the table and cleaned up in under an hour, I have time to spare and enjoy my evening - boy do I deserve it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomato, chopped
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 8 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add oil, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add tomatoes,thyme and broth.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Combine flour and milk. Stir into broth and bring back to a boil over medium high heat. Stir frequently until broth thickens.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 2.93g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.91g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.99g
Total fat: 9.83g
Calories from fat: 88
Carbohydrate, by difference: 14.59g
Total dietary fiber: 1.78g
Total lipid (fat): 10.22g
Total sugars: 7.46g
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.