This whole grain sweet potato bread fills the kitchen with the aroma of fragrant rosemary.
Back in the day when I was raising my kids we’d make homemade bread and pretzels.
Jason and Lauren would sit across the counter from me as I’d knead the dough. Then I’d hand them a blob so they could roll out their own pretzels, or make their own mini loaves of fresh baked bread. They loved that fun time as much as I did, and you can imagine the joy on their faces when they could eat their creations.
I can picture those days as if they were yesterday – they’re captured in my heart.
Now that my kids are on their own, I stick with quick breads. I can whip up a loaf with a ton a flavor and little fuss. Everything goes into one bowl, and there’s no kneading involved (though in those days I considered it a good arm workout).
This quick bread recipe uses leftover mashed sweet potatoes for moistness and vibrant color. But it’s the rosemary that really adds punch.
I’m sad to say this bunch of rosemary is the last from my favorite bush that I don’t think survived our winter, mild as it was.
The combination of rosemary and sweet potatoes works, especially when you add a dollop of melting butter over the top of that warm, fragrant bread.
As you can see, I’m past my bread kneading days, but I’ll always have my happy memories.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread pan generously with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
- Gently fold the two mixtures together and spread into a baking dish.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Weight Watchers Pointsplus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 0.58g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.56g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.61g
Total fat: 2.75g
Calories from fat: 24
Carbohydrate, by difference: 34.30g
Total dietary fiber: 3.24g
Total lipid (fat): 3.04g
Total sugars: 9.31g