Back in the day when I was raising my kids we’d make homemade bread and pretzels.
Jason and Lauren would sit across the counter from me as I’d knead the dough. Then I’d hand them a blob so they could roll out their own pretzels, or make their own mini loaves of fresh baked bread. They loved that fun time as much as I did, and you can imagine the joy on their faces when they could eat their creations.
I can picture those days as if they were yesterday – they’re captured in my heart.
Now that my kids are on their own, I stick with quick breads. I can whip up a loaf with a ton a flavor and little fuss. Everything goes into one bowl, and there’s no kneading involved (though in those days I considered it a good arm workout).
This quick bread recipe uses leftover mashed sweet potatoes for moistness and vibrant color. But it’s the rosemary that really adds punch.
I’m sad to say this bunch of rosemary is the last from my favorite bush that I don’t think survived our winter, mild as it was.
The combination of rosemary and sweet potatoes works, especially when you add a dollop of melting butter over the top of that warm, fragrant bread.
As you can see, I’m past my bread kneading days, but I’ll always have my happy memories.
Shake It Up! You could swap yams for sweet potatoes. They are lower on the glycemic index.
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon low fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread pan generously with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
- Gently fold the two mixtures together and spread into a baking dish.
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Food energy: 176kcal Weight Watchers Pointsplus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 0.58g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.56g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.61g Total fat: 2.75g Calories from fat: 24 Cholesterol: 26mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 34.30g Total dietary fiber: 3.24g Protein: 5.33g Total lipid (fat): 3.04g Water: 49.69g Ash: 2.09g Total sugars: 9.31g Calcium: 104mg Iron: 1.76mg Magnesium: 43mg Phosphorus: 149mg Potassium: 205mg Sodium: 336mg