If you’re lucky enough to have a vegetable garden that produces vibrant, sweet cherry tomatoes, then you have the secret to making a luscious tomato soup.
When I sat down at my desk the other day, I discovered a gigantic bag of cherry tomatoes that tasted like a burst of sunshine when you popped them into your mouth. They came straight from my coworker’s vegetable garden. Lucky me!
There was just one problem – what to do with the large portion I couldn’t munch on before they went bad.
Since tomato and basil soup is a family favorite, I decided those cherry tomatoes would make their way into a soup bowl.
Lacking the one ingredient that makes tomato basil soup the star that it is, the basil, I opted for fresh thyme.
Our local grocery has started selling what they call “living herbs.” They’re a bit on the pricier side, but worth every penny. They add brightness to any dish I add them to.
After simmering in the pan, when I pureed the soup mixture with my trusty immersion blender and spooned up a taste, I discovered a mouthful of seeds. I agree that I should have expected this, but admit it never crossed my mind that cherry tomatoes contain a mountain of seeds.
No problem, I took out my strainer and pressed my flavorful soup into a bowl.
All that was left was to top it with salty Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of green onion for contrast and color.
I have to say that tomato basil soup is still best-loved in this house, but this cherry tomato version comes in a close second!
Serves 2 large bowls
- 8 cups cherry tomatoes, cleaned and stemmed
- 1 ½ cups water, or chicken stock
- ¼ cup white onion, chopped
- ? cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons green onion
- Bring ingredients (EXCLUDING cheese and green onions) to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the head to medium. Simmer uncovered for 45 - 60 minutes until tomatoes have popped and liquid has reduce to soup consistency.
- Using an immersion blender, or blending in batches in a standard blender, puree soup until very creamy.
- Pour soup through a fine mesh strainer to strain out seeds.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and onion.
Food energy: 182kcal Saturated fatty acids: 1.91g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.06g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.57g Total fat: 3.55g Calories from fat: 31 Cholesterol: 7mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 31.31g Total dietary fiber: 7.70g Protein: 9.49g Total lipid (fat): 3.96g Water: 779.23g Ash: 4.01g Total sugars: 21.91g Calcium: 205mg Iron: 2.03mg Magnesium: 76mg Phosphorus: 227mg Potassium: 1494mg Sodium: 213mg
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”