Make a healthier chicken wrap with eggplant, spicy hummus, and tart feta cheese.
We all have foods we wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. My husband’s foods of choice are hummus and curry. He thinks they taste like soap. Don’t ask me where he gets that from. I’ve never detected the flowery essence of soap in hummus or curry, but he’s sure it’s there even in these tasty chicken wraps.
Of course, that doesn’t stop me from trying to slip a bit of hummus past him now and then – I love a challenge.
Surprise! Mike didn’t notice the hummus in this chicken wrap recipe, and ate every bite. Of course, the roasted eggplant and chicken helped to absorb his fantasy soapy taste, and a sprinkle of feta cheese didn’t hurt either.
Healthy cooking tip . . .
The next time you make a sandwich, shake things up a bit and try mayonnaise alternatives like hummus, flavored mustards, or your favorite low-calorie salad dressings. Light Thousand Island dressing is a favorite sandwich spread in this house.
- 4 cups eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large Roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 12 tablespoons hummus
- 12 tablespoons feta cheese
- 6 small whole wheat tortillas
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 and spray a large cooking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Toss eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out onto cookie sheet and roast for 10 - 15 minutes until lightly browned and softened.
- 2. Combine with remaining ingredients and chill for 20 minutes. Serve on tortillas.
- 3. We topped our tortillas with 2 tablespoons hummus and 2 tablespoons light feta cheese.
Nutrition Per Serving Calories: 353, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 9
Total Fat: 12.27g
Total Carbs: 36.59g
Dietary Fiber: 4.36g