I’ve had a ton of fun creating an endless variety of homemade pizzas, and I’ll bet my versions of this classic dish is far more calorie friendly than you’ll find at your local restaurant.
Merriam-Webster defines a pizza as “a dish made typically of flattened bread dough spread with a savory mixture usually including tomatoes and cheese and often other toppings and baked . . .”
That could define almost any pizza that strikes your fancy, right?
I’ve used a variety of “bread doughs” for this family pleasing dish. I make a whole wheat dough in my bread machine, or sometimes I buy it in bags from Trader Joe’s for pennies.
This easy mushroom and sun dried tomato pizza was a Trader Joe’s pizza dough creation.
Sometimes I use tortillas for my “bread dough.” Tortillas make terrific figure friendly pizzas, especially when you add fresh basil and white beans.
And if you missed making your own English muffin pizzas as a kid, then grab a bag of muffins from the store (100% whole wheat please), and toast a few under the broiler. Then top them with spaghetti sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Pop them back under the broiler to lightly brown – the perfect kid food. You might even sneak in a few leaves of spinach, and maybe they won’t notice.
What’s my favorite cheese and veggie combinations you ask?
Any pizza topped with veggies and cheese makes me happy. This past week I decided to roast eggplant, green peppers, and a head of elephant garlic until they were fragrant and tender.
Then I topped a pre-baked crust with that sweet roasted garlic I mushed in with a carton of garden vegetable cream cheese. Then I layered in my roasted eggplant, green peppers, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
It’s clear why I’m pizza crazy now, isn’t it?
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 12 slices - makes two large pizzas using Boboli Th
- 1 medium eggplant, firm, sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 large elephant garlic, skins removed and broken into pieces
- 2 large green pepper, sliced in 1/4 rings
- 4 large roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 8 ounces low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low fat feta cheese
- 2 large Boboli Thin Crust Pizza Shell
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray a pizza stone or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Layer eggplant, green peppers and garlic on the cookie sheets and roast for 25 - 30 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Combine the cream cheese and roasted garlic in a bowl, then spread over Bobolli pizza shells.
- Layer eggplant, green pepper, and tomatoes onto the crust. Then sprinkle with oregano, mozzarella and feta cheese and capers.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted.
Calories: 193kcal Weight Watchers Points Plus 5 Saturated fatty acids: 7.47g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.04g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.45g Total fat: 10.96g Calories from fat: 98 Cholesterol: 38mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 11.96g Total dietary fiber: 2.54g Protein: 9.84g