If you want your family to eat their vegetables, try this roasted eggplant, and turn it into a delicious vegetable sandwich served with a refreshing Greek yogurt dressing.
Freshly roasted vegetables have a nutty flavor and sweet aroma that is hard to resist, and when you put them into a sandwich or a wrap you really have a healthy meal.
This roasted vegetable sandwich took less than 30 minutes from oven to table, and is packed with sweet red onions, squash, tender eggplant, woodsy mushrooms and good-for-you kale. When you stuff your vegetables into a pita shell and top them with a simple Greek yogurt sauce, this sandwich gets even better. Do you have a few extra calories for the day? Crumble a little feta cheese on top for a tangy kick. Now that’s a sandwich!
Roasted Vegetable Primer If you’ve never roasted vegetables, it’s truly an easy process. 1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. 2. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with olive oil cooking spray. 3. Spread vegetables like carrots, broccoli, squashes, mushrooms, beets – you name it onto your cookie sheet and sprinkle with fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, or chopped garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper. Spray with cooking spray. 4. Roast for 20 – 30 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender and starting to lightly brown. Give it a try, I promise you won’t be disappointed in the results. Happy cooking!
Serves 6 halves
- 3 cups eggplant, cubed
- 10 ounces mushroom , sliced
- 3 cups yellow squash, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 10 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 large whole wheat pita bread
- Feta cheese optional and is not included in nutrition information.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss eggplant, mushrooms, squash, onion, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, red pepper and olive oil in a large bowl. Spread on cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Stir and top with kale. Cook another 5 - 8 minutes to soften kale and remove from the oven.
- Combine yogurt, honey, Dijon and balsamic in a bowl.
- Split pita shells in half and open. Fill with roasted vegetables and sauce.