There aren’t many healthy cooks who would turn down this cute burlap bag filled with fresh walnuts from California Walnuts.
Certainly not this cook!
While I was pleased with my bag of treats, little did I know that perusing their website would be a wealth of interesting walnut information.
Walnuts can be expensive, so I was happy to discover that I was storing them properly in the freezer. (We all know I hate to waste food.)
They also have a recipe box filled with tasty cooking inspiration. The Chili Walnut Egg Puff is definitely on my must-make recipe list. They’ve created a protein packed, low calorie Mexican inspired egg dish that fits in with our current eating plan, and looks incredibly fluffy.
But this day, I wanted to thank California Walnuts for their generosity and create my own walnut laden recipe.
When I spotted a pomegranate in the produce section of my grocery store, I new a colorful winter salad was in order. I’d make a pomegranate and walnut infused salad dressing, and use the same dressing as a glaze for the salmon filets waiting in the frig.
Even better, I would top that fresh salmon with a lovely layer of ground walnuts.
Okay – I know what you’re thinking. This looks like an explosion of high calorie, high fat food.
I was a bit worried about that myself, until I remembered that living a healthy lifestyle is all about portion control and making good food choices.
Those choices include healthy fats.
Thank you California Walnuts for sharing! I have plenty of walnuts leftover for banana nut muffins.
Enjoy your weekend!
Serves 2 - 1 filet each with Salad
- ¼ cup walnut pieces and stems, pulverized in a food processor into crumbs
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 10 ounces salmon filets, two filets
- 2 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 4 cups salad greens
- 4 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of dressing over each filet, then combine pulverized walnut with thyme and spread over the top of each salmon filet, pressing down into the meat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with foil and place in the oven. Bake 15 - 20 minutes until salmon just flakes in the thickest part. Baking time depends on the thickness of your filets.
- Arrange salad on a plate. Place of handful or two of greens, shallot and pomegranate on the plate and top with feta cheese, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of dressing.
- Serve with salmon on the side.
Calories not including dressing: 454kcal Weight Watchers PointsPlus 11 Saturated fatty acids: 5.68g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.91g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 14.44g Total fat: 26.02g Calories from fat: 234 Cholesterol: 94mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 16.60g Total dietary fiber: 4.68g Protein: 36.29g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received the products mentioned above for free in the hopes that I would write a review on this blog. I only recommend products or services I use and believe will be beneficial for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”