I put this broccoli soup in front of my husband for dinner tonight and he ate every drop.
He either doesn’t feel well (broccoli soup would not be his thing), or it was really good.
I’m a Weight Watchers fan from way back, and this healthy cream of broccoli soup recipe comes from the New Complete Cookbook. In desperate need to use up a bag of broccoli, I took my chances with the husband, and made this soup anyway.
It was creamy, low fat, low calorie and satisfying. Weight Watchers rocks!
Happy, healthy cooking!
Satisfying and Creamy Broccoli Soup
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable, and a powerhouse of nutrition. Vitamins C, K, A, folate, fiber, manganese, tryptophan and potassium help the body fight bladder, ovarian and prostate cancer. Broccoli is good for detoxification and stomach health; as well as cardiac and vision health. Wow!
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or veg. stock.
- 1 lb. broccoli, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1. In a saucepan combine the broth, broccoli, garlic and scallions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 mins. Remove from heat, cool slightly. Puree to your desired consistency. I liked mine bit chunky.
- 2. In a saucepan melt the butter. Blend in the flour, marjoram, salt and pepper, gradually stirring in the milk until the mixture is smooth. Cook over med. heat, stirring until thick and bubbling.
- 3. Stir in the pureed soup, heat to serving temperature.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Per Serving: 116 calories; 4 g. Total Fat; 1 g. Saturated Fat, 2 mg. Cholesterol, 302 mg. Sodium, 13 g. Total Carbs, 1 g. Dietary Fiber, 7 g. Protein, 216 mg. Calcium.
Points per serving – 2.
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.