I’m a pizza fiend, but those slices of cheesy deliciousness destroy any dreams I have of keeping my calories in check for the day. I simply can’t stop myself from taking that second - sometimes third - slice.
For whatever reason, I can enjoy just two of these gooey sausage filled muffins and feel like I’ve totally indulged myself, yet the calorie count is virtually the same.
It’s all a mind game, isn’t it?
A single slice of sausage pizza contains approximately 330 calories, and two of my pizza muffins contain 300 calories. No real difference there, yet I’m much happier. I realize it doesn’t make sense, but it works for me!
And how easy is this pizza recipe!
Sauté a chopped onion with a little garlic, add fresh tomatoes and pizza-like herbs, then spicy chunks of pre-cooked turkey kielbasa. Buy pizza dough from your local grocery store or pizza joint and press it into your muffin tins, fill them with your savory pizza mixture and top the whole thing with stringy mozzarella cheese.
Pizza heaven in a muffin.
Pizza lovers unite and join me in my crazy obsession! You won’t be disappointed.
Enjoy your weekend!
- 1 large pizza dough, rolled out into a 12" circle
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper
- 1 cup turkey kielbasa, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat with oil. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, then add garlic. Saute another 2 - 3 minutes and remove from heat. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and pepper to the pan with turkey sausage.
- Cut dough into small 3" - 4" circles and press into muffin tins. Dough will tend to shrink into wells so lightly press up the sides, then quickly fill with tomato and sausage mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and dough is lightly browned. Oven times may vary.
Calories per muffin: 142 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4 Total Fat: 4.84g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 275mg Total Carbs: 18.01g Dietary Fiber: 2.51g Sugars: 0.73g Protein: 5.63g
If you’re looking for more healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.