Earthy sage adds flavor without a lot of fuss to these sautéed chicken thighs with sweet leeks and garden-fresh broccoli.
After the holidays, Mike and I spent a few weeks working the Whole 30. One of the lasting impacts this healthy eating plan had on our diets was the discovery that we really enjoyed simpler meals like these baked chicken thighs with broccoli florets.
If you aren’t familiar with The Whole 30, it’s a diet that eliminates problematic foods like dairy, grains and sugar for 30 days to reduce unhealthy cravings and heal your immune system. After eliminating grains, beans, and a number of other go-to staples I typically use to make meals more interesting, it was time to get creative in the kitchen. This meant finding ingredients that provide a lot of flavor and are “Whole 30 compliant” as they say. There’s more to the Whole 30 program, but you can investigate yourself if you’re interested in giving it a try.
Keeping it simple is the key to this chicken recipe. Leeks, stalks of broccoli and fresh sage add a depth of flavor with minimal ingredients.
I prefer chicken thighs over chicken breasts these days. In my opinion, chicken thighs have are super flavorful and aren’t tough and dry if they’re slightly over-cooked. Boneless skinless chicken thighs make a slender choice when you skip the unnecessary fat in the skin, and they cook up quickly in the oven.
This is my plate and you’ll notice there is no cheese atop my chicken, broccoli, and leeks, but Mr. Mike is devastated if there isn’t cheese somewhere on his plate, so you’ll find shredded parmesan cheese melting over his chicken.
Don’t forget to drizzle the broth on the bottom of the pan over your plate. The flavors of chicken, sage and leek meld together as the chicken and broccoli finish off in the oven into a savory liquid that’s completely delicious.
Shake it up!
Almost any vegetable will work in this chicken recipe. Try asparagus, zucchini or summer squash. If you’re not a sage fan, try garlic, fresh thyme or a squeeze of lemon instead.
Super Slender Chicken Thighs with Leeks, Broccoli and Fresh Sage
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, ends trimmed, cut into thin slices, soaked in a bowl of water to remove grit, then drained
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped leaves, packed into the measuring cup
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, allow it to get warm, then add leeks. Saute for 5 - 6 minutes until soft, then add chicken.
- Salute chicken and leeks for 5 - 6 minutes stirring often, then add broccoli, sage, and chicken broth.
- Cover the pan and place in the oven to bake for 20 - 25 minutes until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Serve drizzled with the broth from the pan.
Food energy: 269kcal
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Saturated fatty acids: 2.56g
Calories from fat: 106
Carbohydrate, by difference: 3.96g
Total dietary fiber: 0.44g
Total sugars: 0.95g
FYI – This Savory Garlicky Ground Beef and Spaghetti Squash Casserole is Whole 30 compliant and was a mealtime favorite when we were working the plan.