Thinly sliced garlic chips to add spiciness to this kale recipe.
Health minded folks are kale crazy these days, and I’m right there with them. Sauteed kale makes frequent appearances at our dinner table.
You won’t find me getting on a food bandwagon unless I think it’s worth my dollars and the effort to cook. Kale meets that criteria, though it has to be handled properly if you want your family to eat it.
Besides the fact that kale is packed with fiber, antioxidants, iron and even a decent amount of protein, I like the fact that it can stand up to cooking much better than spinach. It doesn’t get soggy and wilt as quickly in the pan.
You’ll often find kale paired with steaks in our house, and it always has garlic in the mix.
This sauteed kale is my best version yet.
Slices of garlic sizzle in olive oil and onion before you pack in the kale. This takes my leafy greens from bitter, to sweet and mellow. The bitterness that folks sometimes complain of disappears.
Give this sauteed kale a try and let me know what you think. Kale is typically affordable most days of the year, so you won’t be out your hard earned dollars if it’s not your thing.
But if you like it? You’ll be a nutrition superstar.
Serves 4 servings
Sauteed Kale with Garlic Chips
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 8 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and onion. Saute onion until softened and lightly browning, stirring often, for 5 - 6 minutes. Add vegetable broth by the tablespoon to keep pan from becoming too dry and burning onions.
- Add garlic and sauté another 5 minutes to soften garlic until tender.
- Add kale and cook for another 5 minutes, adding remaining broth and cooking until kale just wilts, but still has some bite.
Food energy: 107kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 0.60g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.53g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.82g
Total fat: 3.95g
Calories from fat: 35
Carbohydrate, by difference: 16.07g
Total dietary fiber: 2.98g
Total lipid (fat): 4.34g
Total sugars: 0.86g
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”