This holiday time of year it’s all about quick and easy meals, and if I can put a healthy seafood burrito on the table in less than 30 minutes, I’m ahead of the game.
My heart goes out to parents juggling kids, jobs and holiday expectations – I’ve been there, done that!
While my kids are on their own now, I still have the job and holiday expectations to deliver on, so this time of year I stick with healthy meals I can get on the table quickly. The sooner dinner is on the table, the sooner I can start shopping.
The beauty of this seafood burrito recipe are the packages of chopped vegetables I found in the produce aisle at Albertsons. Yes, they cost a few pennies more, but I wasn’t in the mood for chopping and dropping, I was in the mood for shopping.
A container of inexpensive salad shrimp made up for the cost of my pre-chopped veggies, and frozen wild caught cod added a meaty feel to my healthy burritos.
Can’t beat this for a meal in under 30 minutes – even if you chopped your own peppers and onions!
If you’re calorie watching, skip the avocado. It’s definitely a healthy addition, but this time of year we can use all the calorie savings we can spare. Besides, there’s enough deliciousness to these seafood burritos, it’s an extra, not a must.
P.S. Don’t forget to enter the NuNaturals Giveaway you’ll find on Monday’s holiday chocolate cookie recipe.
Cod and Shrimp Tortillas
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 10 ounces cod, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup bell pepper , chopped
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- 1/2 large lime
- 2 cups salad shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 8 medium corn tortillas
- Combine cornstarch with flour in a bowl. Toss cubed cod with cornstarch mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray generously with cooking spray.
- Add cod and cook for 5 - 6 minutes, gently stirring until cooked through. Set aside covered with foil.
- Increase heat to medium high, and add peppers, onions, Mexican seasoning, and lime juice to the same pan. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add cod to pan with salad shrimp and heat through.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium high, add tortillas one at a time, flipping to lightly brown.
- Serve cod with tortillas.
Food energy: 357kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 1.94g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.73g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.74g
Total fat: 9.40g
Calories from fat: 84
Carbohydrate, by difference: 48.46g
Total dietary fiber: 6.09g
Total lipid (fat): 10.44g
Total sugars: 7.28g