This super easy five ingredient seafood salad is fresh and fragrant with sweet naval oranges, spicy tarragon, goat cheese, and crunchy walnuts.
It’s 5 Ingredient Friday and this week I’m serving up a seafood salad that is completely affordable, healthy, and a refreshing meal on this warm Seattle evening.
When it comes to saving calories and money, imitation crab meat is an alternative to crab that we use in our house for quick salads when I get tired of Mr. Mike’s go-to shrimp.
Imitation crab is a processed white fish, so it contains more sodium and some preservatives, but overall we get a protein boost, and the flavor is satisfying when you find a brand you like.
Citrus of any kind works with fish, though most often it’s lemons and limes I use in salads. When I spotted the oranges on the kitchen counter I opted for something different to freshen up my seafood salad. The sweetness of the oranges balanced the licorice-like tarragon tossed into the bowl to give this salad a kick.
Goat cheese combined with juices from the oranges slices made a creamy dressing, and crunchy walnuts added texture. Saving the orange rinds to serve up this seafood salad is completely fun, and received rave reviews from the crowd (the crowd being Mr. Mike, but I’ll take his praise any day as he’s my most honest critic).
Shake It Up!
Try pre-cooked baby shrimp from your grocery meat counter in place of imitation crab meat in this seafood salad. If tarragon isn’t your herb of choice, fresh thyme, or chopped chives would be equally delicious.
5 Ingredient Seafood Salad with Oranges, Goat Cheese, Walnuts, and Tarragon
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces crab, or imitation crab meat, picked into pieces
- 2 large naval oranges, halved
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- Halve oranges, then take a paring knife around the outside edge between the meat the and flesh to separate. Gently use your fingers to remove the meat from the rind keeping the rind intact to use as a bowl, then slice into pieces.
- Toss gently to combine orange pieces with imitation crab meat, goat cheese, tarragon, and 1/4 cup walnuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide salad into orange halves, then
topeach half with 1 tablespoon walnuts.
- Chill for 15 - 30 minutes, then serve.
Food energy: 200kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 2.89g
Total fat: 10.24
Calories from fat: 92
Carbohydrate, by difference: 19.05g
Total dietary fiber: 2.61g
Total sugars: 9.79g