If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it.
An appetizer from a local restaurant consisting of kale in a spicy coconut sauce, had my husband raving about the wonders of kale. You would have thought I’d never served it before.
But I must admit, I was just as impressed with the restaurant’s presentation of an otherwise, plain green vegetable. Between the two of us, we had fork wars over the last piece of kale.
Any dish that can have my husband eating kale has to be recreated in my kitchen, but I would do that fancy restaurant one better . . .
My spicy kale recipe would have shrimp in the dish!
Fortunately it wasn’t hard to replicate that garlicky coconut flavor we couldn’t forget. All it took was a can of light coconut milk and a splash of chili garlic sauce.
And I’ll make a bet that my kale had far fewer calories than the restaurant’s version, even with the shrimp. After all, we know how restaurant’s love to load on the fat and salt.
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 2 large servings
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- ½ pound shrimp, medium peeled and deveined
- 8 cups kale, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons almonds, slivered
- Preheat a wok or large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil.
- Add kale and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Remove from pan.
- Add coconut milk and chili garlic sauce. Cook for 5 - 8 minutes to reduce sauce by a third.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until shrimp slightly curls and is no longer raw. Don't overcook your shrimp, or it will be tough.
- Add kale and green onions to the pan and heat through.
- Serve topped with slivered almonds.
Calories: 372 Weight Watchers PointsPlus 9 Total Fat: 14.60g Cholesterol: 142mg Sodium: 885mg Total Carbs: 35.51g Dietary Fiber: 7.84g Sugars: 3.94g Protein: 26.87g
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.
If you’re looking for healthy and low calorie Weight Watchers recipes, check out my Recipe page. You’ll find hundreds of recipes that include nutrition information and Weight Watchers points.