It’s the little touches that make all the difference in a dish that appeals to your family, and one that bombs. This impressive shrimp salad proves my point, though I can’t take credit for the idea.
The shrimp recipe is my inspiration for sure. But plating the salad to make it “restaurant worthy,” as my husband would say, came from our local news channel’s Health Link with Jean Enersen.
Jean showed viewers how to create a crab salad. Nothing incredibly complicated, but it was her tip to pack her salad into a ramekin, then flip it down onto the plate that caught my eye.
Completely easy, and far more impressive than dumping my shrimp salad on top of a few lettuce leaves in a big pile, don’t you agree? Who knew that watching the news at the end of the work day could teach me how to serve up meal fit for the eyes, and the tummy!
Shake It Up!
We used nutty farro in this refreshing salad, but you could easily swap it for brown rice or quinoa. And if you aren’t a shrimp fan, try using crab, or even leftover chopped chicken to serve your family a healthy, flavor packed salad.
Enjoy, and have a terrific weekend everyone!
- ½ pound salad shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup farro, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ small lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon low fat mayonnaise
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line 4 medium plates with lettuce.
- Place 1/4 mixture in a ramekin and press lightly down into the bowl.
- Turn ramekin upside down over lettuce and lightly tap to empty ramekin.
- Repeat for remaining plates.
Food energy: 303kcal Saturated fatty acids: 1.70g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.33g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.94g Total fat: 4.97g Calories from fat: 44 Cholesterol: 127mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 42.31g Total dietary fiber: 6.48g Protein: 22.33g Total lipid (fat): 5.12g Water: 117.93g Ash: 2.69g Total sugars: 2.12g Calcium: 143mg Iron: 1.22mg Magnesium: 38mg Phosphorus: 222mg Potassium: 290mg Sodium: 641mg
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.
“If you decide to make a purchase through my link, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!”