When my daughter graduated from college and moved away, I bought her the cookbook, Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. Lauren is a healthy food fanatic, so it seemed like a good choice.
Lauren joined us for breakfast this morning, and wanted to give one of her new cookbook recipes a try.
The original French Toast recipe called for coconut oil to cook the french toast, and while coconut oil is a great option, I chose to use cooking spray to reduce the calories.
This really was a good dish, even my husband loved it! Of course I didn’t tell him it has soy milk and rice flour. 🙂
Topped with some light maple syrup, or a dusting of powdered sugar and this was a breakfast you could feel good about eating.
As promised, I’m posting recipes that are under 400 calories to get us all in shape for the holiday season.
Happy, healthy cooking!
- 1 ½ cups soy milk (you can use regular lowfat milk)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp brown rice flour (you can use flour)
- 1 cup pecan, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1. Whisk soy milk, corn starch, cinnamon and rice flour in a shallow bowl.
- 2. Put pecans in another shallow bowl.
- 3. Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- 4. Dredge bread in milk, and then nuts. Lightly press nuts into bread.
- 5. Cook 2 - 3 minutes each side, taking care not to burn the nuts.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Whole wheat bread contains fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6 and several minerals. One of the biggest benefits of whole wheat bread over refined white flour breads is the boost in fiber. Most people don’t get enough fiber in their diet. Fiber is necessary to keep your digestive system functioning at its best.
Soy milk is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Copper, vitamin D, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Calcium.
Total Fat: 11.03g
Total Carbs: 24.50g
Dietary Fiber: 3.87g
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7
This site contains affiliate links that help me maintain this blog, and meet my strict standards for quality content. Copyright Notice: Mother Rimmy’s Cooking Light Done Right’s images and original content are copyright protected. Do not publish these materials without written permission.