This slender appetizer takes zucchini ribbons and rolls them up with a tasty combination of salty ham, ricotta, and parmesan cheeses.
Now that Thanksgiving 2015 is a thing of the past, I’m working on holiday appetizers that won’t break the calorie bank. Since today is 5 Ingredient Friday, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to introduce these colorful little bites.
We used slender ribbons of zucchini as a replacement for the tortillas we would normally use in an appetizer recipe like this. At zero calories zucchini is definitely a good choice, though I suppose you could use cucumber if zucchini isn’t your thing.
Just five simple ingredients is all it takes to get the party started. John Morrell makes it even easier with their packages of diced ham. (This is not a paid endorsement, I like the convenience of their product.)
A large vegetable peeler is all it takes to make zucchini ribbons. Just be sure to drain them on paper towel to remove excess liquid. The filling will stick to the zucchini better and not slide off.
Ham, ricotta and parmesan cheeses get a boost of flavor with Dijon mustard, then all you have to do is spread and roll.
Super easy, right?
Doesn’t this make a festive presentation for a holiday table? You won’t find leftovers of this slender appetizer. I’ve found the combination of ham and cheese to be a winner, no matter what it’s served with!
Ham and Zucchini Rollup Appetizers
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3 small zucchini sliced into long thin sliced using a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup low fat ricotta
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Drain zucchini on paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Combine ricotta cheese, ham, Dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread ricotta mixture by the tablespoonful onto a slice of zucchini and roll up, sealing the ends with a little of the ricotta mixture.
- Chill for 20 minutes before serving.
Food energy: 29kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 1
Saturated fatty acids: 0.86g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.45g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.08g
Total fat: 1.39g
Calories from fat: 12
Carbohydrate, by difference: 1.38g
Total dietary fiber: 0.26g
Total lipid (fat): 1.49g
Total sugars: 0.66g