When it comes to slender appetizers, any bowl containing shrimp usually ends up empty by the end of a party.
I find this fact of entertaining amusing as I’m not a lover of all things shrimp. Unless the shrimp is deep fried (which of course, is rarely on my menu), or salad shrimp in the form of a creamy appetizer, I won’t gravitate to the bowl.
In my opinion, appetizers calling for shrimp are best with salad shrimps. I find their petite size to be perfect for piling into crunchy celery, or on top of slices of cucumber.
When you follow a recipe, shopping for shrimp sizes can be confusing. This guide from My Recipes is helpful, but your seafood counter person is your best option for good information. They’ll make sure you get the freshest option available.
As I said, I like my shrimp swimming in a creamy concoction that typically includes yogurt, low fat cream cheese and lemon. A dollop of Dijon mustard and thinly sliced green onion adds a gentle heat that doesn’t overpower the delicate flavor of those tiny shrimp.
As an afterthought, I tossed in a handful of toasted walnuts and feta cheese to add crunch and a tart bite to balance the sweetness in the shrimps and cream cheese.
This is my idea of a creamy shrimp appetizer. Scooped into celery, this is definitely a shrimp lovers delight.
Lemony Shrimp, Walnut and Feta Cheese Appetizers
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1 medium lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound shrimp, salad sized shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine yogurt, cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard and thyme in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fold in onion, shrimp, walnuts and feta cheese.
- Chill for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Serve with celery or crackers.
Food energy: 188kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 3.10g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.28g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 3.03g
Total fat: 8.41g
Calories from fat: 75
Carbohydrate, by difference: 6.27g
Total dietary fiber: 0.80g
Total lipid (fat): 9.83g
Total sugars: 3.88g