Turn ground turkey into these savory Sloppy Joe sandwiches served with sourdough bread, super healthy kale, mushrooms, and a spicy marinara sauce.
I admit today’s 5 Ingredient Friday recipe is cheating. This Sloppy Joe sandwich contains six ingredients, but since one ingredient is kale which has virtually no calories, I’m calling it good.
Sloppy Joe sandwiches were a weekly dinner event when I was raising my kids. In those days a classic Sloppy Joe was made with ground beef, white bread hamburger buns, and loads of cheese. Jason is now 34 and Lauren is 31, so this was long before I earned a nutrition certification and probably the reason I needed to lose more than a few pounds.
I’m glad times have changed!
To give myself some credit, back in the day, I was always on the hunt to add vegetables into whatever sauce I was making. Kale wasn’t in the least popular at the time, and if I’d added mushrooms the kids would have picked them out, but zucchini, carrots, and spinach were incorporated whenever possible.
Now that my kids are long out of the house and since I was feeling a bit nostalgic and in need of comfort food, I opted to serve Mr. Mike and myself a healthier Sloppy Joe sandwich with extra lean ground turkey, mushrooms, kale, and marinara sauce.
With a crumble of low-fat mozzarella cheese melted over the top, these meaty sandwiches were super satisfying and definitely brought be back to those days of quick meals after school and sporting events. (At the time I never dreamed I’d miss those crazy, super-packed days!)
In my never to be humble opinion, I like this version of the classic Sloppy Joe sandwich much better. I didn’t miss the heavier bun, and the added veggies make me happy any day!
Shake It Up!
If bread isn’t on your menu, you could easily turn this into a gluten free spaghetti type dish using zucchini noodles. If ground turkey doesn’t appeal to you either, extra lean ground beef or ground chicken is equally calorie friendly.
Turn inexpensive ground turkey into this savory open faced Sloppy Joe sandwich served with sourdough bread, super healthy kale, mushrooms, and a spicy marinara sauce.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 slices sourdough bread, thickly sliced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 2 cups mushroom , sliced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 8 tablespoons low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven broiler and place the rack on the top 1/3 of the oven.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and break apart. Cook for a 3 - 4 minutes to start the meat cooking, then add mushrooms and kale. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes until meat is cooked through and vegetables tender. Add sauce and heat through.
- While meat is cooking place the bread on a cookie sheet and lightly toast bread on both sides under the broiler. Remove from the broiler and place sauce mixture evenly on each slice, then top with cheese. Place the sandwiches back under the broiler and melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Food energy: 543kcal
Weight Watchers Smart Points 15
Saturated fatty acids: 4.32g
Total fat: 13.04g
Carbohydrate, by difference: 64.97g
Total dietary fiber: 5.10g
Total sugars: 9.57g
FYI – Here’s my slow cooker beefy spaghetti sauce with zucchini noodles. You could do the same with this turkey sandwich recipe.
Don’t forget to check out my must have healthy cooking kitchen gadgets and appliances. Motherrimmy.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I only recommend products I use myself.