There’s a secret ingredient in this slow cooker turkey stew that makes every bite luscious and super creamy.
My slow cooker sits on the countertop during the fall and winter months because when it comes to making a warm winter meal like this turkey stew, this handy kitchen appliance is a real time-saver.
During the holiday season when we’re out and about taking care of holiday shopping and to-do lists, coming home to a healthy meal waiting on the counter saves my sanity.
I admit there is some prep involved. Most soups and stews require chopping vegetables, but the handy chopper gadget you see next to my slow cooker makes the job a breeze too, and I love that the pieces come out so nicely shaped!
I don’t bother browning extra lean ground turkey for this pot of stew. If you want to, feel free, but it has so little fat that it doesn’t seem necessary.
Now are you ready to discover the secret ingredient that turns the broth we dump into the pot into a creamy sauce?
I can’t recall who taught me this nifty trick, but the pasta breaks down while it cooks into the broth, turkey and vegetables and the starches make a sauce.
Super simple, right?
Swirl in tart sour cream, and serve this hearty turkey stew with a handful of shredded parmesan cheese, or whatever cheese makes you happy.
With just the two of us, we had plenty of leftovers to package up for the freezer for a quick work day lunch. That’s what I love about slow cooker recipes, there’s always leftovers!
FYI – If you’re interested in purchasing the appliances I’ve used to make this savory turkey stew you’ll find the links below. If you decide to make a purchase, Amazon will pay me a commission for it. This doesn’t cost you anything additional and the commissions help support the cost of authoring this blog, so thank you!
Slow Cooker Turkey Stew with Fresh Rosemary and Sour Cream
15 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 15 Total Time
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- 2 cups carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups celery, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 large bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole wheat fusilli
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 8 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Combine ingredients in a slow cooker EXCEPT sour cream and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Mix stew up and allow to cool for 15 - 20 minutes. Season the batch with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in sour cream and serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Food energy: 219kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
Saturated fatty acids: 3.52g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 3.06g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 2.05g
Total fat: 8.64g
Calories from fat: 77
Carbohydrate, by difference: 14.75g
Total dietary fiber: 2.43g
Total lipid (fat): 9.47g
Total sugars: 3.05g