Serve spaghetti squash with oregano, chicken, tomatoes, capers, and feta cheese to give it a Mediterranean flair.
The day Grandma Karen taught me how to cook spaghetti squash I was hooked. This healthy squash is affordable, completely calorie friendly, and often referred to as a replacement for pasta.
While I disagree with folks who say this squash is an alternative to pasta, it does make a carb friendly choice that even Mr. Mike never complains about.
After a quick sauté of ground chicken, oregano, garlic, and roasted red peppers to give the pan color, my Mediterranean style spaghetti is ready to plate.
Toss in a few capers, grape tomatoes, and crumbles of feta cheese and this healthy dinner is ready to go.
Shake It Up!
If pasta is your thing, you could swap the squash for whole grain pasta and add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to keep the dish moist. The spaghetti squash is naturally moist, but pasta can easily dry out without olive oil. I have more spaghetti squash recipes so be sure to stop by and check them out.
Before I leave you this cold, Seattle Friday, I want to announce the winners of our Bear Naked Custom Made Granola giveaway. Congratulations to Kristen Dietrich and Rachel Young. You’ll each receive a coupon code for one bag of this incredible granola.
Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash with Chicken, Roasted Peppers, Capers, and Feta Cheese
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 8 tablespoons low fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Poke the spaghetti squash with a knife in a few places, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on medium high for 15 - 20 minutes. The squash will sound hollow when thumped and a fork can easily pierce through. Allow to cool.
- While squash cooks, spray a non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and add chicken, oregano, and garlic. Stir, breaking up chicken until it’s cooked through (about 5 - 8 minutes). Turn the pan to low to keep it warm.
- Cut squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and the tiny strands attached to them. Use a fork to gently remove the strands of squash and add them to the pan of chicken. Turn the heat up to medium and add the peppers, capers, and grape tomatoes and heat the squash mixture up.
- Remove from the heat and plate, topping with feta cheese.
Food energy: 235kcal Weight Watchers Smart Points 7 Saturated fatty acids: 5.46g Total fat: 12.37g Calories from fat: 111 Cholesterol: 114mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 6.29g Total dietary fiber: 1.53g Protein: 23.41g Total sugars: 3.23g Calcium: 116mg Potassium: 761mg Sodium: 541mg
If you’re a Pinterest fan don’t forget to pin this healthy dinner recipe to your favorite boards.