Kick dinner up a notch with these super easy baked chicken breasts stuffed with spinach in a savory mushroom sauce.
I’m a chef’s assistant for our local PPC cooking classes. There’s a saying amongst chefs that we eat with our eyes first. Lately our lean and green meals weren’t providing a whole lot of visual appeal – we were craving something more impressive. That’s when I decided this night’s lean in-between meal would be different.
This healthy stuffed chicken breast recipe worked its magic. We could have sauteed our spinach and thrown our chicken breasts on top, but that wouldn’t have been nearly as much fun as rolling the spinach inside the chicken and topping it with a low-calorie mushroom sauce.
Much more appealing, don’t you think?
How do you give your meals visual appeal?
If you have tips for creating an eye-catching plate, be sure to share them with us by leaving a comment.
Happy, healthy cooking!
This is a company impressive stuffed chicken recipe with fresh spinach and mushrooms sauce.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in half and pounded to make six filets
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 wedges Laughing Cow Cheese
- Sprinkle chicken breast halves with salt and pepper on each side.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken halves to the pan leaving room in between. You may have to cook in batches depending on how large your pan is. Sear on both sides to lightly brown for 2 - 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take chicken breast halves and top with a layer of spinach. fold in half and pin with toothpicks. Placing toothpicks in at an angle works best.
- Place chicken in a casserole dish.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the chicken in, add mushrooms, chicken broth, oregano, Dijon mustard and garlic. Simmer for 3 - 5 minutes over medium heat until broth reduces to a thin sauce. Add Laughing Cow cheese and stir to melt in.
- Top chicken with mushroom sauce, the cover the dish with foil.
- Cook for 15 - 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. It will depend on how thick your chicken filets are. Don't overcook, or it will be dry.
Food energy: 241kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Saturated fatty acids: 1.65g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 1.30g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.78g
Total fat: 3.73g
Calories from fat: 33
Carbohydrate, by difference: 19.39g
Total dietary fiber: 2.54g