There is no better way to start the morning than with a good breakfast.
Weekday morning meals consist of a smoothie, oatmeal or Greek yogurt and fruit – but the weekends? As far as I’m concerned, one weekend morning should include a breakfast treat.
This morning’s offering was inspired by Make and Take’s Pop Up Pancakes, but strays far from the original recipe when it comes to ingredients. I might want a weekend breakfast treat, but there’s no reason I can’t stick with my healthy eating plan at the same time.
I took advantage of my handy-dandy Magic Bullet to whip up these easy mini Dutch Babies. It did a great job of combining eggs, whole wheat pastry flour (a favorite baking flour), chia seeds, flax seeds, and frozen strawberries into a smooth and creamy mixture I could pour into my muffin tins.
Fresh from the oven, my Dutch Babies were tender and custard-like on the inside. All I needed was a quick drizzle of 100% maple syrup, and a side of fresh fruit – that’s what I call a weekend treat.
Enjoy your Sunday!
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg white
- ½ cup strawberries
- ½ cup low fat milk
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whip ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Generously spray a non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray and fill 8 muffins tins ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until lightly browned on the top and cooked in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slip a knife around the edges and gently scoop out with a large spoon. These can tend to stick, so care is needed to remove from the pan.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 4
Total Fat: 6.62g
Total Carbs: 17.53g
Dietary Fiber: 3.65g
As an aside, I was contacted recently by Tim Cooley who was interested in providing readers with his take on starting a home cooking business. Tim’s article was an interesting read, so if the thought of cooking for a crowd sends you off daydreaming, then give this article from Tim a read. Enjoy!
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.