This calorie-friendly pasta dish with tender shrimp is served with a light garlic and lemon sauce and on your table in under 30 minutes.
This is due to the fact that many pasta dishes are packed with calories, and also because taking out a package of noodles from the pantry isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when the dinner bell rings.
But every so often a craving for fun spiral or cute little cup shaped noodles strikes, and I’m hunting through my freezer for ground beef or shrimp.
The Spicy Italian flavors of beef combined with tomatoes, onion and garlic compliment lean ground beef, but on this day it was shrimp I pulled from the freezer. After all that holiday food, I wanted a lighter meal.
Heavier sauces make me feel like taking a nap, so the shrimp got a boost of flavor from a garlicky, lemony sauce with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
I have one piece of advice when it comes to making lighter, lower calorie pasta dishes.
Noodles with crevices like spirals and cups hold thinner sauces much better than spaghetti and linguine. If you use longer noodles, you’ll find a puddle of sauce on the bottom of your plate and miss out on all that saucy goodness.
That’s my post for today. I hope you pasta lovers give it a try and don’t be shy, leave a comment with your favorite healthy pasta making tips!
Super Easy Pasta and Shrimp with a Lemony Garlic Sauce
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 ounces whole wheat pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup seafood stock, or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pound shrimp, 16 - 20 count, raw, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium lemon zest, fruit zest only
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with olive oil. Add onion and cook for 3 - 5 minutes to soften.
- Add seafood stock, garlic and shrimp. Cook shrimp for 3 - 5 minutes on one side, then gently flip to the other side. Shrimp should turn pink and start to curl. Take care not to overcook the shrimp or it will be tough.
- Add drained pasta to the pan with lemon zest and parsley. Stir together.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
Food energy: 379kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 4.76g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 4.97g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.40g
Total fat: 11.13g
Calories from fat: 100
Carbohydrate, by difference: 37.53g
Total dietary fiber: 2.52g
Total lipid (fat): 11.99g
Total sugars: 3.19g