You won’t miss the bun when you taste these super moist grilled turkey burgers with sweet fennel, mushrooms, and a spicy Greek yogurt sauce.
Grilling season signals the start of no-fuss meals like this Friday’s 5 ingredient recipe for turkey burgers. We have a covered porch so living in rainy Seattle doesn’t stop us from firing up the grill year around, but for some reason grilling in the winter isn’t as appealing as soups and stews, so it rarely gets used.
It’s the simplicity of grilling that works so well with a 5 ingredient recipe because grilling and roasting foods can bring out their natural flavors. Typically we would serve onions and mushrooms on top of our burgers, but the idea of fennel with its sweet licorice flavor sounded appealing paired with mushrooms and ground turkey burgers.
All it takes is a teaspoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper to get the fennel and mushrooms going on the grill, and while they were cooking away, I combined low-fat Greek yogurt with spicy brown mustard to make a sauce for the burgers.
Using some of my sauce to season the turkey, I chopped a few extra mushrooms to bind the meat better when I formed the patties. Ground chicken and turkey always require extra moisture to keep the burgers from becoming too dry, since they need to be cooked thoroughly before serving.
This isn’t the best picture in the bunch, but you can see that these are soft patties unlike ground beef, so you have to be gentle when you place them on a well-greased grill. We grilled our burgers directly over a medium flame with the lid closed, but since all grills heat differently, you’ll want to use your best judgment when you fire up yours.
As you can see, our turkey burgers came off the grill with those lovely marks we all want to see, and the fennel and mushrooms were tender and sweet.
You can certainly serve your burgers on a bun, but we were just as happy with a lettuce wrap. In case you’re wondering what that veggie is on the side, it’s jicama. Jicama is the root of a jicama plant that has a crunchy texture like an apple but isn’t nearly as sweet.
That’s my recipe for this Friday’s installment of 5 Ingredient recipes. If you have recipe ideas swirling around in your head, I’m always on the lookout for interesting dishes using just 5 ingredients so be sure to leave a comment!
Enjoy and have a terrific weekend!
You won't miss the bun when you taste these super moist grilled turkey burgers with sweet fennel, mushrooms, and a mustardy Greek yogurt sauce.
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons mustard, spicy brown
- 8 ounces mushroom , sliced
- 1/2 cup mushroom , finely chopped
- 1 large fennel , cleaned, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound low-fat ground turkey, 93% lean
- Preheat your grill to medium high.
- Combine Greek yogurt and mustard in a small bowl.
- Toss fennel and sliced mushrooms together (reserve chopped mushrooms for turkey burgers) with olive oil and place in the center of a piece of foil. Fold ends of the foil over to make a pocket for the fennel and mushrooms and place over direct heat on the grill. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, opening the foil to stir up the vegetables. Close the foil again and allow to cook until tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine 2 tablespoons of the yogurt dressing with chopped mushrooms and ground turkey. Form into four patties.
- Place the patties on a prepared grill (we use olive oil soaked paper towel to grease our grill) and cook for 5 - 6 minutes on the first side with the lid closed watching carefully to keep from burning. Flip and cook another 3 - 4 minutes until burgers are no longer pink in the middle. With poultry you’ll want to watch very carefully and as soon as they are done take them off the grill or they’ll be tough and dry.
- Serve burgers with fennel, mushrooms, and remaining sauce.
Food energy: 232kcal
Weight Watchers Smart Points 6
Saturated fatty acids: 2.74g
Total fat: 10.10g
Calories from fat: 90
Carbohydrate, by difference: 7.70g
Total dietary fiber: 2.57g
Total sugars: 4.65g