Get out your bread machine to make this savory sun-dried tomato flatbread with fresh rosemary.
Do you have appliances sitting in the garage?
You know the appliances I’m talking about – the deep fryer you just had to have because you were going to make that crunchy shrimp your favorite restaurant serves. Or maybe it’s that rotisserie you saw on an infomercial that you just couldn’t resist. Maybe it’s not sitting your garage, like my bread machine is, but it’s stuffed back in the pantry in a corner you can only reach if you empty the cupboard.
As I passed by my bread machine sitting on its lonely shelf in the garage, flashbacks of how easy it was to make fresh, fragrant bread came flooding back, smells and all.
I grabbed the bread machine and headed straight to the kitchen. I’ve been having a grand time this past week making all kinds of delicious breads, including this exquisitely colorful sun dried tomato flat bread.
If you don’t have a bread machine, the investment is well worth it. My bread is free of preservatives, and I can pronounce every ingredient in the list. Even better, I just dump ingredients in the pan, set the timer and go. In the past I even made a terrific whole wheat pizza dough!
Where is my bread machine stored now? Front most in my appliance cupboard, ready to go.
Serves 10 slices
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 large sun dried tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, I used the oil from the sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1. Combine ingredients in your bread machine according to the manufacturers directions, and turn onto the dough cycle.
- 2. Remove dough from pan and form into a large square. Top with parmesan cheese.
- 3. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and lay bread onto cookie sheet. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to rise another 45 - 60 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 and bake bread for 25 - 30 minutes until bread is nicely browned and hollow sounding when tapped.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Whole wheat bread contains fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6 and several minerals. One of the biggest benefits of whole wheat bread over refined white breads is the boost in fiber. Most people don’t get enough fiber in their diet. Fiber is necessary to keep your digestive system functioning at its best.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 128, Weight Watchers Points 2
Total Fat: 2.25g
Total Carbs: 22.42g
Dietary Fiber: 1.84g
Nutrition details obtained from whfoods.org, nutritiondata.com, about.com, and abouthomecooking.com. The statement made here are strictly my opinion and are not meant to replace medical advice from your physician. Please see disclaimer for further details.