It takes just five simple ingredients to make this sweet and spicy shrimp with haricot verts (green beans).
I am beyond excited to start this new blog post series – Five Ingredient Fridays!
I’ve been in a cooking rut, and as I pondered what was causing this uncharacteristic reluctance to enter my kitchen, I realized I needed to simplify meal prep. I’m kicking this fun series off with a super easy shrimp recipe with haricot verts, garlic, green onion, and sweet chili sauce.
I love to cook, and the more ingredients I can add to a dish, the better. For me, it’s a zen thing. I get in a zone like my son does when he’s coaching a football game. I forget time, and what was supposed to be dinner done in 30 minutes, becomes dinner an hour and a half later.
But these days, we’re short on time and I’m short on energy. I need to keep meals and snacks uncomplicated to prepare and calorie friendly – quick cooking shrimp is a good place to start. This shrimp was purchased pre-cooked from the freezer section. I try to purchase sustainable seafood whenever possible and use Seafood Watch as a resource to know what I’m buying.
Haricot verts (super slender green beans) don’t take long to cook either, and were a colorful veggie choice to add to my pan along with garlic and jarred sweet chili sauce from Trader Joes. No worries if you don’t have a Trader Joes, all grocery stores have a bottle of sweet chili sauce in the Asian aisle.
For this first 5 ingredient recipe, simple ingredients that pack oomph make the difference between a blah dish and a dish that pops with flavor.
So here’s my self-imposed rules for a 5 Ingredient Friday recipe.
- It can be a main dish, breakfast dish, salad, baked goods, or snacks.
- Cooking oils, salt, and pepper are free ingredients as everyone has them in the pantry.
- I’m allowed condiments such as chili garlic sauce, fancy mustards, etc. No salad dressings or products with loads of ingredients.
Not too many rules to follow, wouldn’t you agree?
If you have a healthy 5 ingredient recipe that your family loves be sure to leave a comment. Right now I have loads of ideas, but I’m sure I’ll be hunting for inspiration in the not too distant future.
Have a terrific weekend!
Sweet Chili Shrimp with Haricots Verts (Green Beans) - 5 Ingredient Friday!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces haricots verts (French green beans) or super slender green beans, trimmed if needed
- 8 ounces shrimp, 70 - 110 size, cooked
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and allow to heat up. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add green beans and stirring frequently cook for 5 minutes until beans are crisp-tender.
- Add cooked shrimp to the skillet with sweet chili sauce and heat through for 1 minute.
- Serve with green onion
Food energy: 251kcal
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 6
Saturated fatty acids: 1.34g
Monounsaturated fatty acids: 5.16g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.32g
Total fat: 7.82g
Calories from fat: 70
Carbohydrate, by difference: 24.72g
Total dietary fiber: 7.99g
Total lipid (fat): 8.47g
Total sugars: 10.95g
FYI – This Caprese salad with shrimp and bok choy doesn’t quite meet my criteria for 5 ingredients, but with just a few extra ingredients, it makes a dramatic presentation for company.