These cream cheese appetizers are sweet and calorie friendly too!
This lovely appetizer recipe came from Dr. Susan Mitchell on wdbo.com and Family Circle Magazine. I love Dr. Susan. She is so informative, and still lots of fun.
What a pretty appetizer, and absolutely addicting. Crunchy walnuts hide a cheezy, creamy, chewey center.
I forgot the dried apple when I was ingredient shopping, so I used dried cranberries instead. I’ll bet you could use your imagination and come up with all kinds of combinations of fruits and nuts. Fun!
Happy, healthy cooking!
Serves 18 ea
Slender Tantalizing Fruit Bite Appetizers
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-calorie cheddar cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple (such as Sunsweet Philippine Pineapple), chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Toast walnuts in a dry non-stick pan over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Beat together cheddar cheese, cream cheese and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until blended, about 1 minute.
- Stir in dried apple (in my case cranberries), apricot and pineapple with a wooden spoon. Using a tablespoon, form mixture into balls, then roll between palms.
- Coat balls in chopped nuts.
What’s good for me in this dish?
Apricots contain manganese, vitamin E, magnesium, tryptophan, copper, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. Apricots lower LDL-Cholesterol and lower your risk of heart disease. They also protect against Diabetes and Cardiovascular disease. Dried apricots are equally as good as their fresh form when it comes to their nutritional value.
Per bite 55 calories; 3 g fat; 2 g protein; 5 g carbohydrate; 85 mg sodium; 7 mg cholesterol, Weight Watchers PointsPlus 1
Please see disclaimer for further details. Nutrition information is compiled with MacGourmet. If you find discrepancies, please let me know. It’s important to me that I provide you with accurate information.